Okay, so you’ve made the decision to get lip filler, yay!!!
You might be a little excited, a little terrified, and have no idea what to expect or how to prepare.
Well, take a deep breath and read on for the top 5 things to do before your filler appointment..
If you haven’t already, your first step is to choose an injector. If you’re looking for the best place to get lip filler in Denver, skin DEN aesthetics is the place for you! If you are outside the Denver area, we offer virtual consultations and can guide you on where to stay if you’re coming from out of town for your appointment. If visiting Denver for your lip filler isn’t possible, we recommend doing your research when choosing the right injector. Always check before and afters as well as customer reviews, and make sure your injector has a similar style to what you are looking for!
Now, let’s get into the preparation phase!
- Avoid blood thinners this includes alcohol, aspirin, ibuprofen, flaxseed oil, fish oil, and vitamin E. Listen, I know it can be tempting to have that glass of wine at girls night the night before your appointment, but just don’t do it. Anything that thins the blood is going to make bleeding worse. This not only will cause you to bruise and swell more, but can make it difficult for your injector to see which can provide a challenge when trying to achieve symmetry. It will also take longer as your injector will have to continuously hold pressure to stop the bleeding, which will not only keep you in the chair longer but can make the swelling kick in while your injector is still trying to work, making it even more difficult to be precise! While aspirin and ibuprofen are not recommended, Tylenol (acetaminophen) is OK and we actually recommend taking a dose about 60 min before your apt to help with pain! (please do not stop any prescription blood thinning medications without approval from your primary doctor).
2. Take Arnica Montana oral pellets for 1-2 days before your appointment. This will help significantly with bleeding and bruising, which will decrease your down time and allow you to swell much less during the procedure. Less swelling during the procedure means your injector will be able to work with much more precision and as an added benefit you’ll have better immediate results and can skip the post-lip-filler-panic when you see your lips swollen and huge! Arnica can also help with pain and discomfort so take some about 30 min before your apt! You can find Arnica Montana at sprouts, Whole Foods, or even on Amazon!
3. Have an idea of what you want it is your injectors job to analyze your face and give recommendations based on ratios, size, and symmetry to best flatter the rest of your features and your face as a whole. However, it is helpful to have an idea of what you want and dont want before heading in to your appointment. Having a few pictures of lips that you like can help guide your injector on your style and how to achieve your dream lips while also complimenting the rest of your features.
4. Drink lots of water and I mean a lot . Lip filler contains something called hyaluronic acid which you can think of like a little sponge molecule that holds up to 1000x its weight in water. The more hydrated you are, the better your filler will look, both today and for the life of your filler! This especially goes for anyone getting lip filler in Denver where it can be incredibly dry. So drink up, babe!
5. Have a meal or snack especially if you don’t do so hot with needles! Low blood sugar can make you more likely to feel sick, shaky, or light headed during the procedure. Filler day is not the day to worry about calories, so snack up on some protein and carbs before you head in!
I hope this post was helpful in helping you prepare for your first filler appointment! Always remember to reach out to your injector with any specific questions or concerns!